Are you getting all the Cost-of-Living support you are entitled to?

30 August 2022

An empty purse on a coffee table

Powys residents struggling with the cost-of-living are being advised to check they are receiving all the support that is available to them.

The county council is currently administering the Cost of Living Support Scheme, on behalf of the Welsh Government, and its own Discretionary Cost of Living Support Scheme, which are both worth £150 to households or individuals who are eligible.

The council has written to everyone who it thinks is eligible for these two schemes, but if you need help to apply or need benefits advice, please call 01597 826345 or visit the benefits page on the Powys County Council (PCC) website: Benefits

Many unpaid carers, in receipt of Carer’s Allowance, are also able to apply for the Unpaid Carers Financial Support Grant, worth £500, up until 5pm on 2 September, which is again being administered by PCC on behalf of the Welsh Government.

The county council can also help with Discretionary Housing Payments, which are intended to support people in exceptional circumstances and for a short period of time to get through financial hardship. These payments can be used to cover housing costs, such as: a rent shortfall, rent deposits or rent in advance if you need to move home, essential furniture if you are homeless, help to move house if it’s to improve your rental situation or in some cases a payment towards rent arrears if you are facing eviction.

If you are homeless, or threatened with homelessness in the next 56 days (two months) the council is required by law to find out more about your situation and work with you to prevent or relieve your homelessness: Seek help about homelessness

Powys is also one of 13 councils taking part in the Leasing Scheme Wales, which aims to increase access to, and the affordability of, renting privately. Tenants housed under the scheme will have longer term, secure and affordable accommodation as well as access to a high-level of support to help maintain their tenancy.

If your household is on a low income, you could also receive support towards some, or all, of your Council Tax bill through the Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

PCC’s Money Advice Service can also help you with benefits, budgeting, debt or fuel cost queries. There is an online form available on the PCC website: Need help with Benefits, Budgeting, Debt or Fuel Costs? Or you can call 01874 612153 or email: [email protected] to get advice.

It also works in partnership with Macmillan Cancer Support and the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to provide specialist money and benefit support to cancer patients, and their carers, in Powys.

Further advice on help with the cost-of-living is also available on the Welsh Government’s website:,of%20their%20council%20tax%20band

Do you want to write an article or blog for or any of the news websites for Wales? Contact us.  Email: [email protected]