As part of Round 1 of UK Government’s Levelling Up Fund (LUF), the Council has been successful in their joint application with Wrexham County Borough Council for the Clwyd South Constituency.
The Levelling Up Fund is intended to invest in infrastructure that improves everyday life across the UK. The fund supports town centre and high street regeneration, local transport projects, and cultural and heritage assets.
The Levelling Up funding allocated to Denbighshire amounts to £3.8m and will benefit the communities of Llangollen, Llantysilio, Corwen and surrounding areas.
There are a number of exciting projects being delivered in these communities, which you will start to see evidence of early in 2023, with all project delivery expected to be completed by March 2024.
What is planned?
Llangollen / Llantysilio
- Access improvements around the historical Four Great Highways (Canal, Railway, River Dee & A5)
- Enhancing the visitor experience at Plas Newydd improving access to various areas of the attraction
- Accessible paths at Wenffrwd nature reserve including linking the canal towpath to the nature reserve. One path has already been delivered linking the nature reserve to the health centre.
- Improvements to the visitor experience at Horseshoe Falls and measures to protect the natural environment
- Installation of a platform canopy to complete the new Corwen Station, delivered by Llangollen Railway Trust
- Improvements to the appearance of Corwen High Street including a refresh of benches, bins, and public realm along the high street. Also included within this is external renovation work to Llys Owain (the former HSBC bank), this element being delivered by a local social enterprise organisation, Cadwyn Adfywio
- Improvements to Green Lane Car Park which will include the installation of EV charging points and refurbishment of the toilet block
- A 1km active travel route from Green Lane up to the A5.
Share your ideas….
The Four Great Highways Engagement Approach
Burroughs and The Urbanists have now been appointed by the Council to develop the design of the Four Great Highways Project. The project will seek to reconnect key parts of the town through various public realm improvements such as better signage and interpretation of the local heritage, natural play opportunities / experiences, seating and easier to access spaces for all. The priority will be to improve access between the canal, town centre, River Dee and railway station.
Given the rich heritage of Llangollen, we will be seeking feedback from a wide range of the local community from school children through to local businesses, people from across the age groups within the community and visitors alike.
Key dates and information on how you can take part will be shared on Denbighshire’s website and via posters within the community and will look to connect with local schools, public events, and targeted workshops, both in person and on-line, to give all members of the community a chance to have their say.
For further information on the projects, please go to: www.denbighshire.gov.uk/levelling-up-fund
If you have any questions regarding the Clwyd South Levelling Up Fund projects, please contact [email protected].